Mobile in Transportation Advisory Council
Email us at transportation@GoMobileMichigan.org
PLEASE NOTE: Membership in MTAM is required to participate in Advisory Councils. Membership information is available at this link.
What is 'Mobile in Transportation'?
Mobile and wireless technologies are significantly impacting every sector of the transportation industry; from connected vehicles, to fleet management, to air, sea and land traffic control, to public transit, and alternative transportation options like carsharing, ridesharing and bikesharing, and much more.
These technologies are capturing data such as infrastructure, transport mode status, weather, location, safety and more then compiling the data in such a way as to provide increased transportation management capabilities, better service, decreased costs, and increased safety.
'Mobile in Transportation' is the aggregation of the examination of the intersection of mobile/wireless technologies with each existing transportation mode, and how these technologies are currently impacting, and in future will impact, each transportation sector in order to maximize the opportunities presented by the technology, to put Michigan in the best possible position to benefit from this rapid growth technology sector, and to ensure bottom line financial benefit to Michigan companies engaged in the sector.
What are the challenges of 'Mobile in Transportation'?
- Will it cut down driver distraction - or make it worse?
- Who will pay for the services; part of the monthly mobile service subscription, built into the purchase price of the vehicle, separate bill?
- Vehicles take longer to develop than mobile/wireless technologies; the difference in lifecycles is substantial with vehicles working on a 5-year cycle and mobile/wireless systems, apps and devices upgrading in a matter of months
- Federal and State safety laws in all sectors of the transportation industry will dictate connectivity in all modes of transportation
- Transportation and mobile/wireless industries need to learn how to work together; both typically operate in a highly-proprietary environment
- In automtive, dealers are not prepared for the changes the technology will cause in their business model; dealers must revise their model to accommodate consumer training in the use of a vehicle's mobile/wireless technologies
- Identification of the best way of connecting within each transportation mode; built-in or brought-in
- Industry standards vs. proprietary technologies
The importance of 'Mobile in Transportation':
- A way of alleviating congestion by giving motorists up-to-the minute information they can use to make informed choices to reduce travel delays
- Offers the potential to dramatically reduce annual traffic deaths
- Offers the opportunity for new vehicle ownership models such as car-sharing which can lead to a more 'green' environment
- As modes of transportation are continuing to evolve, consumers expectations of those transportation modes are continuing to increase in terms of convenience, functionality, safety, and interaction; incorporating mobile/wireless technologies enables firms engaged in providing transportation-related products and services to meet those expectations
Why MTAM has formed a 'Mobile in Transportation' Advisory Council:
As part of MTAM's effort to address the challenges surrounding the 'Connected Vehicle' and additional mobile/wireless technology issues related to the various sectors of the transportation industry, and to ensure that Michigan is leading the way in local, state, national and international initiatives driving growth in this sector, the trade association has activated a statewide 'Mobile in Transportation' Advisory Council.
This council is tasked with assisting the trade association with development of resources, events, policy recommendations, and for providing educational, networking and business development opportunities for those working in Michigan's transporation industries, those in transportation-focused mobile/wireless technologies, and those working in organizations providing services to the transportation industries.
The overriding goal of the advisory council is to utilize mobile/wireless technologies in the transportation industries to drive business expansion, new business start-ups and job creation in Michigan to facilitate the state's economic diversity and growth.
Examples of mobile/wireless sectors and industries that will be impacted:
- Connected Vehicle
- V2V (vehicle-to-vehicle)
- V2X (vehicle to infrastructure)
- Aviation (human & cargo)
- Rail (human & cargo)
- Human-powered transportation
- Sea (human & cargo)
- Land-based Mass transportation
- rapid transit
- Intermodal transportation
- and more!
MTAM 'Mobile in Transportation' Advisory Council Vision:
- The Mobile Technology Association of Michigan's 'Mobile in Transportation' Advisory Council is the center for information, connections and collaboration efforts for mobile/wireless technologies across all transportation eco-systems.
MTAM 'Mobile in Transportation' Advisory Council MIssion:
- Encourage and support the collaboration and creation of entities which will advance and enable growth and appropriate use of mobile/wireless technologies in transportation
- Act as the voice of mobile/wireless technologies in transportation for public and private entities
- Convene meetings, demonstrations and forums for public and private stakeholders in this eco-system in conjunction with the Mobile Technology Association of Michigan
- Create, maintain & disseminate news, information and other knowledge-based assets